Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Stadium, Alameda and Research

Here for the last week has given me a chance to do some last minute site-seeing before going back. Today, some of us went to take some pictures of the Olympic Stadium and the Ice Cube so when we get back we can say to our friends and family that we were there as we watch from the TV set. The stadium is truly magnificant to see even from a distance, but It would have been great to be able to see the inside. While we took pictures a formation of guards walked by us, which was interesting to observe...especially since they couldn't keep there eyes off Kelly. Xu was able to catch a priceless picture of this that will hopefully be on the photo diary soon.

After our Olympic excursion, I was able to experience what its like to get a hair-cut in China with my friend Wu Di from lab. Before going I had my doubts, but the hair-cut come out exactly as I hoped with Wu Di's help all with the phrase "Just a little off the top" to my barber in Chinese. Furthermore, it only cost 3oRMB, equivalent to around $4 US, which is a price I could never get a hair-cut for back home. This is why I usually got my roommate during this last year at school to cut my hair for me so I could avoid paying the $20 US that it usually costs for one in Ann Arbor.

Tonight, I also was able to go to a restaurant named Alameda, which had amasing high-class Western food. The placed is tucked in a little unassuming alcove in the Sanlitun bar strip area. Spencer, Donna and myself were all able to get there fairly quick (45 minutes) by taking bus 394 from our appt. and one of the new Subway lines (10). Some of the others didn't want to go since they thought it too expensive at 158RMB; however, I would never be able to find a meal this good or this cheap anywhere else. For this price you get an starter course and an entree that would cost me well in the $60 range to purchase in the US. For my starter I had roasted Asparagus with Mozzorella cheeze and Ceaser Dressing and for the main entree I had Sea-Bass with Grilled Potatoes and Salsa. I might have to venture here again before we leave on Sunday.

Tomorrow is our big presentation day, where a few of us will present our work via an online-feed to other RU programs (2 at U of M, and 1 at Notre Dame). I think it will be a good way to recap what some of us have done and give us a chance to see the work of others, which will be very varied since many of us have worked in different Chemistry labs including Nanochemistry (physical), Organic, Analytical, and Applied. But, before our presentation I think we plan to go to a Museum in the city and then I'm going to have a farewell dinner with my Professor. Even with all the hassle that resulted from the Olympics with work at lab, I'm happy with how this summer ended in the lab has ended. If I pursue grad school, I may come back for a few months out of the year to do some research, which my Professor has encouraged me to think about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home